Gluten-free stuffing is here! Wildfire’s Kale & Apple version highlights fall ingredients and will leave you feeling guilt-free.
Wildfire’s Gluten-free Kale & Apple Stuffing
18 ounces loaf gluten-free bread, preferred canyon bake house 7-grain loaf
(found in freezer aisle in many grocery stores)
1 bunch tuscan kale
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 ½ cups shallots, sliced thin (1/8”)
3 cups leeks, washed well, white part only, sliced thin (1/8”)
1 cup celery, ¼” dice
2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, minced
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, minced
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cups granny smith apple, peeled, cored, ¼” dice
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 whole eggs
3 cups vegetable or chicken stock, warm
½ cup apple cider
1 cup ground parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Cut each slice of gluten-free bread into thirds, then thirds again to make 9 cubes, place in a large stainless steel bowl.
- Pull washed kale off stem and blanch in salted simmering water for 2 minutes, then dip into ice water to stop cooking.
- Drain kale, squeeze out water and rough chop. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, melt 6 tablespoons of butter with ¼ cup of EVOO.
- Add garlic, shallots, leeks, celery and herbs and sauté for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add apples and cook for another 5 minutes
- Add salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Combine cubed gluten-free bread, sautéed vegetables and apples with all remaining ingredients, except 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Let set for 10-15 minutes to absorb together.
- Lightly butter a 9”x13”x2” stainless or pyrex pan.
- Scoop all stuffing evenly in pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap, then foil.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove plastic and foil and dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes. Serve warm. Enjoy!