This Thanksgiving, give your stuffing some southern influence with Wildfire’s Cornbread Stuffing.
Wildfire’s Cornbread Stuffing
2 ½ pounds Wildfire cornbread or store-bought
4 slices applewood smoked bacon
8 ounces chopped onions
6 ounces chopped celery
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
½ tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
½ tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoon + ½ teaspoon Kosher salt and black pepper
2 cups chicken stock
2 ounces soft butter
2 whole eggs
½ teaspoon crushed red chilies
1 ounce butter, softened
- Crumble cornbread onto a sheet pan to slightly dry out while assembling remaining ingredients.
- Mince bacon.
- In a sauté pan, add bacon and cook over moderate heat until crisp.
- Add vegetables and herbs and caramelize vegetables until tender.
- Deglaze pan with chicken stock, scraping bottom bits off the pan. Bring to a boil, turn off heat. Swirl in 2 ounces of butter.
- In a large stainless steel bowl, fold all ingredients together, except 1 ounce of soft butter.
- Spray 9”x13”x2” pan with pam spray and spoon mixture on evenly.
- Dot with 1 ounce of butter, cover with plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
- Bake covered in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and plastic covering and bake for another 20 minutes uncovered.