Try this Recipe at Home: Beatrix’s Pepper & Egg White Sandwich
We’re here to make your egg sammies a little more exciting! Beatrix is sharing its recipe for a delicious Pepper and Egg White Sandwich.
Beatrix’s Pepper & Egg White Sandwich Recipe
Serving size: 1 Sandwich
2 cups diced fresh jalapenos (about 10 medium jalapenos)
½ cup water
½ cup white vinegar
½ cup sugar (plus additional kosher salt to taste)
½ tsp. salt
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup shishito peppers, sliced the long way about ⅓ in thick (about 2-3 peppers)
2 tsp rice flour
1 ciabatta bun
3 tablespoons butter
3 egg whites (or ½ cup liquid egg whites)
pepper jack cheese to top
¾ cup baby kale and spinach salad mix
2 oz. salsa verde
METHOD FOR JALAPENO RELISH:
Serving size: makes about 1 cup
1. Using gloves, slice jalapenos into halves, remove seeds with a spoon, then cut into (½ in. to ¾ in.) chunk
2. Place diced jalapenos in a small saucepan with water, vinegar, salt and sugar.
3. Cook over medium heat until boiling, then reduce temperature and simmer covered until liquid has reduced (about 20 – 30 minutes)
4. Drain and reserve excess liquid
5. Using a handheld burr mixer, pulse and blend briefly to thicken relish.
6. Add back some of the liquid to the desired thickness.
7. Let cool and place mixture in a jar. The relish can be used to top hamburgers, sandwiches, tacos, and nachos.
METHOD FOR THE SANDWICH:
1. Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Dredge shishito peppers in rice flour and fry them in canola oil until blistered and slightly crisp, about 1 – 2 minutes; pinch salt to taste over the peppers and set aside and keep warm
3. Split the ciabatta bun and toast until both sides are a deep golden brown
4. While the bread is toasting, melt butter in a small skillet and cook egg whites with pinch salt until cooked.
5. Top cooked egg with one thick slice of pepper jack cheese; cover skillet with a lid until the cheese melts
6. Spread 1 Tbsp of jalapeno relish on the bottom of the bun
7. Add baby kale and spinach mix on top of the relish
8. Add the cooked egg whites with cheese, then top the sandwich with the crispy shishito peppers
9. Close the sandwich and slice in half. Serve with salsa verde on the side