Simple Yet Delicious: How to Make Cacio e Pepe
¾ lb long dry pasta (like spaghetti or bucatini)
water and kosher salt as needed
¾ cup finely grated Pecorino Romano, plus more for garnish
¼ cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus more for garnish
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper, plus more for garnish
½ to 1 cup pasta water, reserved
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the pasta according to package directions in ample boiling salted water.
- Drain the pasta and reserve 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta back to the pot and place over low heat.
- Add the Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano Reggiano cheeses, the ground pepper, and half of the pasta water.
- Gently stir with a wooden spoon until the cheese is melted and the pasta is coated with a silky sauce. Add more water as needed. The sauce should cling tightly to the noodles and not pool in the bottom of the pot.
- Divide among four warm bowls and drizzle with olive oil.
- Garnish with additional grated cheese and freshly ground pepper to your taste.