Head to the newly opened Pizzeria Portofino to try their Tomato Caprese! This dish includes sweet and juicy Campari tomatoes, creamy stracciatella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and purple basil served with fresh semolina bread.
This dish is delicious and simple to make at home. Click here to download and print the recipe.
1 tbsp. high-quality extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 tsp. red wine vinegar, plus more for finishing
¼ small Fresno chili, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
2 oz. stracciatella cheese
1 tbsp. basil pesto
14 Campari tomatoes, quartered
6 sun-dried tomatoes
10 rings sliced pearl red onions
1 anchovy fillet, lightly chopped
1 sprig purple basil leaves
2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley leaves
Pinch Maldon sea salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
Semolina bread, for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. red wine vinegar and the chili pepper; set the vinaigrette aside.
- Spread the stracciatella on the bottom of a plate; spoon the pesto around the perimeter of the cheese.
- Arrange the Campari and sun-dried tomatoes in a circular pattern to cover the cheese. Sprinkle with the onion and anchovy; top with the basil and parsley leaves.
- Drizzle the reserved vinaigrette over the tomatoes. Season with Maldon sea salt and black pepper; finish with an extra splash and red wine vinegar and drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve the Tomato Caprese with fresh semolina bread alongside.
Are you a lover of heirloom tomatoes? Click here to see our favorite heirloom tomato dishes.