Recipe: Tomato Caprese from Pizzeria Portofino
Head to the newly opened Pizzeria Portofino to try this simple, seasonal Tomato Caprese that partner and television personality, Giuliana Rancic, says was a staple on the table during her childhood in Naples, Italy. This dish combines Campari tomatoes, creamy stracciatella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and purple basil, served with fresh semolina bread. Giuliana recommends seeking out the Campari tomatoes, which are sweet and juicy with low acidity.
This delicious dish is easy to make at home. Click here to download and print the recipe.
1 tbsp. high-quality extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 tsp. red wine vinegar, plus more for finishing
¼ small Fresno chili, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
2 oz. stracciatella cheese
1 tbsp. basil pesto
14 Campari tomatoes, quartered
6 sun-dried tomatoes
10 rings sliced pearl red onions
1 anchovy fillet, lightly chopped
1 sprig purple basil leaves
2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley leaves
Pinch Maldon sea salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
Semolina bread, for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. red wine vinegar and the chili pepper; set the vinaigrette aside.
- Spread the stracciatella on the bottom of a plate; spoon the pesto around the perimeter of the cheese.
- Arrange the Campari and sun-dried tomatoes in a circular pattern to cover the cheese. Sprinkle with the onion and anchovy; top with the basil and parsley leaves.
- Drizzle the reserved vinaigrette over the tomatoes. Season with Maldon sea salt and black pepper; finish with an extra splash and red wine vinegar and drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve the Tomato Caprese with fresh semolina bread alongside.
Are you a lover of heirloom tomatoes? Click here to see our favorite heirloom tomato dishes.