Recipe: the Hub Summer Cooler
Hub 51, one of Chicago’s favorite social dining spots, keeps summertime going with its Hub Summer Cooler made with Nikki Coffey Gin and Blackberry-Cucumber LaCroix, topped with a bouquet of fresh mint. Recreate this easy cocktail at home for your next backyard BBQ.
Hub Summer Cooler
1 oz. Nikka Coffey Gin
1 ½ oz. fresh cucumber juice
¾ oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
1 ½ oz. LaCroix Cúrate Múre Pepino (Blackberry Cucumber) sparkling water
1 oz. ginger beer
½ oz. mint syrup*
Bouquet of fresh mint, for garnish
1. In a cocktail shaking tin, add the gin, cucumber and lime juices, and mint syrup. Add ice and shake for about 5-10 seconds.
2. Add LaCroix sparkling water and ginger beer. Strain cocktail over crushed ice in a Collins glass (or carefully strain into an empty La Croix can) and garnish with mint.
1 cup cold water
1 cup granulated sugar
25 sprigs (about 1/3 bunch) fresh mint
1. In a small saucepan over high heat, bring water and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Add mint and let steep for 30-45 minutes.
5. Strain through a fine mesh strainer; chill. Refrigerate syrup for up to 2 weeks.