il Porcellino’s Gnocchi Bolognese
Cold weather have you staying at home for dinner? il Porcellino’s Gnocchi Bolognese is the perfect dish to warm up to on a winter night. Try out this home cook-friendly recipe below, or head over to the restaurant and let our chefs to the heavy lifting for you! Make a reservation at il Porcellino here.
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 lbs. ground beef
2 Tbsp. unsalted cold butter, cubed and divided
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped and divided
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato juice
3 lbs. potato gnocchi, homemade or store-bought
1/4 cup pecorino-romano cheese, grated
2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up meat, until caramelized, about 6-8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove beef from pot and set aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp. butter, carrot, onion and garlic to pot; cook until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Stir in rosemary and reserved beef; season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes; bring to a rapid simmer and cook 5 minutes.
- Add tomato juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 2 Tbsp butter. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook gnocchi according to package directions; drain.
- Gently toss the gnocchi in the Bolognese sauce; add Pecorino and parsley. Serve immediately.