For party appetizers, goat cheese is always a good idea and our friends at Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba have created the Cana de Cabra Pintxo. This simple crostini is the perfect bite to hold your guests over until dinner. See below for the recipe!
Caramelized Cana de Cabra Crostini Pintxo
Yields 32 Pieces
- 2 cups red onion marmalade
- Membrillo honey
- 1 baguette
- 1 log cana de cabra (Spanish soft goat cheese)
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Slice baguette into thin pieces (32 total).
- Brush with olive oil and toast on a sheet pan for about five minutes until crisp; remove from oven.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of red onion marmalade on each slice.
- Slice Cana de Cabra log into rounds, about ¼ inch thick.
- Heat a non-stick pan and sear cheese until it starts to caramelize and melt.
- Remove cheese from the pan and flip over to cool so the caramelized side is facing up.
- Cut each round in half and place one-half round on each crostini.
- Drizzle with membrillo honey and serve.
Red Onion Marmalade
- 2 pounds red onions, julienne
- 1¼ cups red wine
- 1 ounce sugar
- 1 ounce butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- First create a red onion relish. Melt butter in a saucepan, and add onions. Sauté until translucent.
- Add 1-ounce sugar and caramelize the onions.
- Add red wine and let simmer over low heat for 1½ – 2 hours, then let cool.
Optional: season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Measure out 2 cups of this onion relish mixture and finely chop.
- Combine relish with ¼ red wine vinegar and ½ cup sugar in a pot and reduce over low heat. Let cool and reserve.
- 1 cup honey
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound membrillo
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and heat to melt honey and break down membrillo.
- Reduce by half.
- Purée all ingredients and strain through a chinois.
- Let cool and reserve.