Recipe: Potato Latkes | adapted from Bub City
Celebrate Passover by making these home-cook-friendly latkes, adapted from Bub City’s own recipe. Don’t forget to serve with sour cream and your favorite applesauce!
Potato Latkes / adapted from Bub City
1 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
1 medium onion, peeled and shredded
1 large egg
2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup matzo meal
Vegetable oil, for frying
Sour cream, for serving
Applesauce, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded potatoes and onion. Add egg and season with salt and pepper. Gently mix with hands until ingredients are just combined.
- Fold in matzo and mix to incorporate.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add enough vegetable oil to cover bottom of skillet and heat until simmering.
- Working in batches, scoop out ¼- cup portions of the potato mixture and drop into the pan, being careful not to overcrowd the skillet. Cook latkes until golden-brown on one side, about 2-3 minutes, then flip and let cook on other side. Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- Plate latkes on paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain; sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Serve latkes with sour cream an applesauce.