Recipe: Bub City Deep-Fried Turkey Legs
Take a Southern approach this Thanksgiving with Bub City’s recipe for deep-fried turkey legs, which are sure to keep the family happy and the house intact. If deep-frying at home isn’t your thing, there’s always room at Bub City’s table on Thanksgiving Day. Click here to make a reservation at Bub City.
Bub City Deep-Fried Turkey Legs
2 whole turkey legs (about 8 lbs. total), thighs and drumsticks separated
½ gallon buttermilk
½ gallon Bub City Batter (see below)
8 cups Bub City Seasoned Flour (see below)
Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
Fine sea salt
*To make the Bub City Batter, mix together 8 cups all-purpose flour with 1 tablespoon baking soda, 2 tablespoons each of dried thyme, kosher salt, ground black pepper and garlic powder, and 1 tablespoon cayenne and cumin. Slowly stir in 8 cups cold water and continue mixing until the batter is smooth and creamy.
*For the Bub City Seasoned Flour, thoroughly combine 8 cups all-purpose flour with 5 tablespoons baking powder, 2½ tablespoons each garlic and onion powders, 2 tablespoons fine sea salt, and 1 tablespoon each ground white and black pepper.
- In a large bowl (or resealable plastic bag), add the turkey pieces and enough buttermilk to fully submerge. Cover and chill overnight.
- Pour enough oil in the bottom of a large, heavy-bottom skillet to reach a depth of at least 6 inches; heat to 300°F over medium-high heat.
- Remove turkey from buttermilk and lightly pat dry. Dip into the Bub City Batter, allowing excess batter to drip off. Next, dredge the pieces in Bub City Seasoned Flour until evenly coated all over.
- Carefully place the turkey into the hot oil and fry, flipping halfway through, until golden brown and crispy and an internal temperature of 165°F is reached, about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove turkey legs from oil and allow to cool slightly on a rack or paper-towel-lined plate.
- Season with fine sea salt, and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.