Osteria Via Stato’s Chef David DiGregorio is known for sourcing some of the best ingredients from local farmers and purveyors and one of his favorite things about summer is heirloom tomatoes. He even hosts a dinner dedicated to the ingredient!
Here is his recipe for his signature Heirloom Tomato Panzanella Salad.
Serving Size: 1
- 1 cup pulled toasted garlic bread – see method below
- 1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ cup cucumbers, cut in half and sliced thin, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon sweet onion, slivered
- 1½ tablespoons fresh basil, rinsed and torn
- 1 tablespoon cerignola olives, cut in silvers
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
METHOD FOR GARLIC BREAD:
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees (fan on).
- Slice fresh Ciabatta into 1 inch slices and drizzle each side with EVOO.
- Place on a sheet tray with a rack and toast in oven (fan on) for approximately 5-6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and rub each side of toasted bread with the cut side of garlic. Tear into ½ inch pieces.
METHOD FOR SALAD:
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, allowing the bread to soak up some of the juices.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Arrange small salad on plate and enjoy.