5 Steps to Achieve Grilled Cheese Nirvana
Chef Tim Hockett of M Burger feels there’s nothing that brings back childhood memories like grilled cheese sandwiches. Here he drops some knowledge on the five crucial steps to achieve grilled cheese nirvana:
- Butter the outside of the bread and use warm spreadable butter. This ensures a golden brown, buttery crust that’s crucial to every great grilled cheese.
- Use a griddle pan, a cast iron skillet, or your favorite flat non-stick pan. When using a griddle pan, you can control the heat and the color.
PSA: The broiler is a no-no.
- Turn the heat to medium and place one side of the bread on the pan butter side down. You want a nice medium heat so the cheese will be melted and soft while at the same time the bread is GBD (golden brown and delicious). Top the grilled cheese with 2-3 slices of your favorite cheese and top with the other slice of bread, butter on the outside.
- Once the bottom slice is toasted, flip your sandwich over and toast the other side.
Flip Tip: place one hand on top of the sandwich and place the spatula underneath, gently turning it over to ensure no cheese is lost.
- Finally, your good-ole-American grilled cheese is ready after a minute or two!
Bonus tip: Add crispy bacon, pickles, jalapenos and BBQ sauce. Save the BBQ sauce to dip it in, or as Tim likes to do, add all those ingredients right between slices of cheese. The savory, meatiness of the bacon, the crunchy bite of the pickles and heat of the jalapenos complements the traditional grilled cheese nicely.
Extra credit ingredients from our chefs, and where to find them.
Where to try it: Mity Nice’s Deluxe Grilled Cheese Sandwich comes complete with pimento cheddar, Applewood bacon and watercress.
Tip: Get creative with your choice of bread.