Beatrix Executive Pastry Chef / Partner Yasmin Gutierrez, who is behind some of the most tasty sweets in the Windy City, teaches us how to make these yummy cookies for your next holiday gathering. Get creative and decorate them how you please!
Holiday Butter Cookie with Icing Recipe
Executive Pastry Chef / Partner Yasmin Gutierrez
Serving Size: 2 Dozen Cookies
1 lb Unsalted Butter, Softened
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Confectioners’ Sugar, Sifted
1 Tsp salt
5 Egg Yolks
5 cups of All Purpose Flour
- Beat the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add sugars and salt and beat for 2 minute.
- Add the egg yolks and beat until well blended.
- Add the flour and pulse the mixer to incorporate the flour. The dough will not come together in a ball but can be gathered into a ball with your hands.
- Chill the dough for 2 hours.
- Roll out ¼ inch thickness.
- Using your choice of cookie cutters, cut to desired shape.
- Place on a parchment paper lined sheet pan and bake at 350F for 12-20 minutes.
**The dough may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Royal Icing Recipe
Produces about 8 cups
6 lb Powder Sugar
2 cups Lemon Juice
½ cup Water
¾ cup Egg white powder
Optional: food coloring of your choice
- Mix everything on low speed with paddle.
- If you would like an icing thicker add more powder sugar.
Pick up Chef Yasmin’s holiday cookie creations at Beatrix, Beatrix Market, Foodlife and Foodease throughout the month of December. Want to place an order for your holiday get together? E-mail the Beatrix team at firstname.lastname@example.org to place your order.