Our Chefs’ Favorite Family Holiday Food Traditions
Tamales with Arnulfo (Arnie) Tellez
Executive Chef, Shaw’s Crab House
Dough for Sweet Tamales Con Pasas (with Raisins)
Yield: Dough for 30 tamales
8 large eggs
2 ¼ cups butter
3 cups wheat flour
1 cups rice flour
1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
2 tbsp of baking powder
Raisins to taste
1. Beat the butter and sugar until soft and smooth in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add 2 eggs and continue beating. Separate the rest of the egg whites from the yoke.
3. Add the flour, little by little, and continue beating.
4. When flour is all added, add the baking powder while still mixing.
5. Add the rest of the egg yokes and continue beating. Beat egg whites until fluffy and fold into dough.
6. See if a bit of dough will float in water. If so, mix is ready to form tamales.
Feast of the Seven Fishes with Chef David DiGregorio
Executive Chef, Osteria Via Stato